Thursday, November 5, 2015

Savory Diamond Cuts, Savory Maida Biscuits


          This year, I had made up my mind on a couple of sweets and savory items that I wanted to make, this Savory Diamond Cuts/Maida Kara Biscuits was one among them. I saw them in a couple of blogs, they looked so cute and tempting, and while going through the recipe, I saw that they were not difficult to make, in fact a very easy one that even a beginner can make. These savory biscuits are not very spicy, they have a very subtle ajwain flavor and a perfect match with your tea or coffee..

Need To Have

  • All Purpose Flour/Maida - 1 cup
  • Dried Red Chillies - 5
  • Garlic - 2 cloves
  • Ajwain/Omam - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
  • Oil - 1 teaspoon + for deep frying

Original recipe here.

Method


          Grind the red chillies and garlic with a little water into a smooth paste. Add the salt, ajwain seeds and 1 teaspoon of oil to the flour and mix it.


          Now add the ground paste and adding a little water, make a stiff dough with it. Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. Then divide the dough and roll into big lemon size balls.


          Dusting with some flour, roll out a ball into a thin disc, then cut out diamond shapes, remove them and keep. Do it with all the balls of dough.


          Heat the oil, add the diamond cuts, keep turning them and fry them on medium heat, till the bubbles settle down. Remove the diamond cuts, drain the excess oil and let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.


Note
If you fry them on high heat, they brown fast, but might not be crispy.
The chillies that I had were mild, so I added 5, add them according to your spice level, if the chillies are spicy, then even 2 would be enough.
Since I have made a small batch, with just a cup of flour, I just put all the diamond pieces in one plate, but if you're making more, then there is chance that they might stick to one another. But if use more flour while rolling out the balls, then they'll be totally dry and will not stick, but still, don't dump too much on one plate.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. These biscuits are in my to do list for long time and I donno when I am going to execute.. It looks super Crispy and perfect dear

    Sowmia - Sowmia's Galley

    ReplyDelete
  2. my most fav snack, This is something I cannot stop till I finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. crunchy crispy diamond cuts are just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so nice and crunchy. Delicious share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love diamond cuts, looks so crispy and yummy.. Perfect with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete