Monday, January 7, 2013

Cauliflower Fritters


          Will you believe me, if I tell you, that after moving to India, for the past six months I haven't done any deep frying at home, that too being a food blogger. Something kept me away from doing deep frying, I didn't do anything even during the festivals, but of course, occasionally I did snack on some deep fried foods. But last weekend I finally did it, I made these Cauliflower Fritters. They are so simple to make and yet so tempting and delicious, my daughter simply loves them. You can serve them as appetizers, or even have it as a side dish with some rice dish, you'll definitely love it..

Need To Have

  • Cauliflower Florets - bite-size, 2 cups
  • Besan Flour/ Chana Dal Flour - 3 teaspoons
  • Corn Flour - 6 teaspoons
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Garlic Cloves - 3 roughly pounded
  • Curry Leaves - about 10, roughly chopped 
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - for deep frying

Method
          Wash the cauliflower florets well, boil some water, add some salt and add the cauliflower to it and switch off, leave it for 5 minutes, drain and keep.


           Heat the oil in a frying pan, while it's getting heated, take the cauliflower and add all of the ingredients given except the oil and mix it.


          Check for the salt and start deep frying immediately, adding a handful at a time. Once it starts turning golden brown, remove it and drain the excess oil on a paper towel. Serve it hot.


Note
If you have to do large quantities, do it in small batches like 2 cups at a time, if you keep the cauliflower for a long time after mixing the flours, spices and salt, it'll start giving out water.
This dish stays crispy only for a short time, but even otherwise it's still very tasty.
Check whether the oil is hot, by adding a small piece, if it sizzles and comes immediately to the top, then proceed with the frying.
Also, for the cauliflowers in the US, just wash the florets in hot water, don't leave them in it.
Besan Flour is Split Chickpeas Flour, available in Indian stores.
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. these are my fav fritters.. well made..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum crunchy snack. After going to India I think you started buying snacks from shop :) just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect for a cold day... me wish to have it now
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tells me I have to start cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. No deep frying for past 6 months..? Health wise really good. But taste wise may be you were missing something.. :)
    Tempting fritters.. I too make it similarly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happen to have 2 cauliflower bunches in my fridge and was looking for just the perfect thing to do with them. Gorgeous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love this with curd rice... Looks so crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  8. wanna try do it as soon as posibble!!!
    Satya
    http://chittyboy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it munch it all time...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so yummy yummy and i wud love it anytime

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love munching on them. The western french fries can never beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice & crunchy fritters... Liked the idea of kind of parboiling them. Will try that when I make cauliflower fritter next time

    Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love munching on them too! They look so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. kids fav.. Looks very crunchy!
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of cauliflower left at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!! past 6 months u din't try deep fried foods... I can't... lovely fritters... try to grab from here...
    COCONUT CORIANDER CHUTNEY
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love to munch some, crispy fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. jus love it so crunch n bful clics..

    ReplyDelete
  19. this sounds amazing... why had I yet to think about deep frying cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would love to try some right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this new idea with us. I like cauliflower very much. I have an idea to call my friends and arrange a party with your recipe.

    ---Stephen Y. Aranda
    My Website

    ReplyDelete