Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Garlic Brinjal


          I know brinjal or eggplant is not everybody's favorite, but in my home, all of us like it. So when I was back in the US, I used to pick them up whenever I went to the Indian grocery store (you find the small varieties there only). But after coming to India, it's one vegetable that's readily available and also, so many varieties. As the name 'Garlic Brinjal' suggests, I have added a lot of garlic to the dish and I have used the small green variety, this one is for all the garlic and brinjal lovers..

Need To Have

  • Sliced Brinjals - 2 cups
  • Garlic - 25 cloves
  • Dried Red Chillies - 4
  • Fennel Seeds - 2 teaspoons
  • Ground Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10 - 15



Method
          Peel the garlic and if the cloves are too big, slice them into two. Make a powder with the red chillies and the fennel seeds. Heat some oil, add the garlic pieces, saute for like 3 minutes till the garlic turns golden, then add the brinjal (eggplant) slices. Saute well, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, till the vegetable is cooked but not mushy. Now add the ground powder, keep sauteing, uncovered for about 3 to 4 minutes, if needed add a little more oil at this stage. Finally, add the pepper powder and the curry leaves, mix well and serve warm with rotis or rice and dal.
Sending it to Anu's Healthy Kitchen for the South Indian Cooking Series event and
                to Cook's Joy for Kalyani's 'Kitchen Chronicles - Only Vegan' event.

Note
You can use the purple small brinjals or even the chinese long eggplants, but don't use the big fat ones, they tend to become mushy. 
When mixing, take care not to break the pieces.
When picking the small brinjals, don't pick very hard ones, it'll be very seedy.


Pin It

26 comments:

  1. Yummy this dish. Packed with flavour. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super yummy curry and nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  3. very yummy looking dish... never tried garlic with brinjal
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brinjal. The side dish looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the combo of brinjal and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tasty. it would pair well with rasam or sambhar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple curry to go with rasam or curds and rice. BTW, I've been waiting for your mail as I declared you the winner of ONLY mangoes, yesterday. So pls rush up, as you have only a day to go to claim the win.

    Foodelicious
    ‘ONLY’ Microwave Cooking & Cookbook Giveaway
    Healthy Food For Healthy Kids- Preschooler Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the polka dot bowl!! and the curry looks flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice flavors. Would be perfect with curd rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the spice combination here Hema; I use it with many simple dishes.
    I would add cumin to this too. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the flavors,simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garlic Brinjal looks delicious Hema. Now only I am starting combos with eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love brinjal, this looks so flavourful and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Packed flavorful dish...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. super delicious!! I adore brinjals!! this recipe goes to my to-do list
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love brinjals! And with lots of garlic, looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete