Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cracked Wheat And Spinach Idli


          I was telling my daughter the other day, that when I was in school, most of the days my breakfast used to be idlis and some days I had taken that for lunch too, and how I used to be bored with them. My daughter replied, saying that I was very lucky, that I had idlis every day, she's one big idli fan, she even went one step further, saying that she would go on an idli marathon for a week. This being the case, I make idlis very often, but try to make some variation in them, one such is this cracked wheat idli. I added some spinach and chana dal to make it more interesting and more nutritious..

Need To Have
  • Cracked Wheat - 1 + 1/2 cups
  • Curd - 1 + 1/2 cups
  • Water - 1/2 cup
  • Spinach - 1 + 1/2 cups, packed
  • Ginger - 1 tablespoon, grated 
  • Chana Dal - 3 tablespoons
  • Mustard Seed - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Method



          Soak the chana dal in water for an hour. Roast the cracked wheat in a little oil and soak it in the curd and a cup of water for 45 mins to an hour.


          Heat oil, add the mustard and the cumin seeds, once they stop sputtering, add the asafoetida and the curry leaves. Now add the drained chana dal, stir for a minute or two and add the spinach, salt and grated ginger, mix well for a couple of mins.


          Remove and add this to the soaked cracked wheat, mix everything well, the batter should be thick like rava idli batter. Pour this into idli moulds and steam them for 20 mins. Enjoy them warm with the chutney of your choice, we had ours with Peanut Mint Chutney.

Sending them off to Vardhini of Zesty Palette to take part in the New "U" event.

Also sending it to Krithi's Kitchen for the Wholesome Wholegrain Cooking event she is guest hosting for Sanjeeta.


Note
Use the very fine variety of cracked wheat to make these idlis.
Wait for a couple of mins before removing the cooked idlis from the idli mould.
I used frozen spinach, you can use fresh or for people in India you can try with other keerais too.

     


Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Delicious and healthy idly,nice twist..love the addition of spinach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks different hema. Bookmarked!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely innovative healthy idlis,yum yum!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to give this a try..It looks awesome..Bookmarked it Dear..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks yummy. I love idlis and that too with spinach, how healthy is that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these idlis look so healthy n yummy, good one Hema..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarking this.. I too love idlis a lot and never knew this could be made with cracked wheat. Simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. healthy and looks delicious !!

    Ongoing event CC-Chocolate Fest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy combo. I am the only one who eats cracked wheat at home and love it. Thx for linking to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love idli's too & this looks super helathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a very healthy version of idli......lovely twist. Shud try this soon. Even my husband is a idli fan...so i can try this variation for him...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very healthy and nutritious idli..

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi,
    i thank your daughter for encouraging you to make cracked wheat and spinach idli and i and my family wish you to do more delicious dishes and become popolar.it looks so healthy.i like to taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a healthy idli. I would never try this on my own but this looks so tempting. Bookmarking dear. Happy to follow you. Thanks for stopping by dear...

    ReplyDelete
  15. super delicious and healthy spinach idli..awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..what a wholesome and healthy idly..I am going to try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cracked Wheat and Spinach Idli looking yummy and elegant.Full of nutrients and best food for Break fast.Very nice dish.I shall try this at home. Also Thankyou for liking my dish

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the normal daliya , do i need to put it through the mixer to make it fine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be the fine variety, if the grains are big, then blend it in the mixer.

      Delete