Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pottukadalai, Dalia, Roasted Gram Chutney


          Though I haven't posted yet, the tomato chutney is one that I do most often as a side for idlis and dosas, since it's a favorite for both my husband and daughter. But sometimes, when I run out of tomatoes or I am running short of time, then it's this pottukadalai/ dalia or roasted gram chutney. No previous roasting or sauteing is required and you can do a couple of versions with it. Usually I do a combo of green chillies, ginger, roasted gram and a little coconut or dried red chillies, garlic, roasted gram and coconut. But for today's chutney I have used red chillies with ginger and have also added a couple of shallots. This chutney goes well with almost everything, both as a side to idlis and dosas and would also taste good if mixed with rice too..

Need To Have

  • Roasted Gram - 4 tablespoons
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tablespoon
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2
  • Chopped Ginger - 1 tablespoon
  • Shallots - 4
  • Tamarind - a small marble size
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad Dal/ Husked Black Gram - 1 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 5
  • Salt to taste

Method


          Take the roasted gram, coconut, red chillies, ginger, shallots and tamarind and grind it all together along with the salt and some water, remove and keep.


          Heat some oil, add the urad dal and mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the asafoetida and curry leaves, mix for a couple of seconds, remove and add it to the ground roasted gram dal.


Note
You can add equal amounts of roasted gram and coconut, but I use less coconut to keep it healthy.
If you don't have shallots, use one small onion instead.
More or less chillies according to your tolerance level and also if you don't want, you can leave out the coconut completely.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I need to try your version, one time I made it my hubby doesn't like it sure this one looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is in my draft, my fav chutney and i love it with dosa & chapathi :) neatly presented Hema..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow very very flavorful and delicious chutney :) tempting me !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very flavourful chutney and a nice one to accompany with dosa.

    On-going event: Dish it out: coconut and sugar/salt
    Eat seasonal food, fresh

    ReplyDelete
  5. tomato chutney is my fav, but i also like pottu kadalai chutney with dosa.. nice presentation hema..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice chutney! I to do this chutney often but without the onion. Maybe next time I will try it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and flavorful chutney,perfect with the South Indian tiffin items..

    ReplyDelete