Sunday, November 24, 2013

Guacamole (Avocado/ Butter Fruit) With Cumin And Garlic


          After moving to India, getting my hands on a good avocado or butter fruit as they call it here was a big problem, the couple of times that I bought this while staying in Chennai, it always turned out bad and then I stopped buying it. But now in Bangalore, I am able to buy good avocados, they are in fact huge ones, almost double the size of the Hass avocados, that we get back in the US. My family loves guacamole, we have it as a spread on our sandwiches. Till date I only knew that they used the fruit for making guacamole, in milk shakes and ice creams, only recently, while reading about Coorg, I came to know, avocado is a staple there and they enjoy it simply with some honey, I have to try this yet. Coming to today's post, I have already posted a recipe for gaucamole in my blog, this is a slightly different version and it's more flavorful with the addition of garlic and cumin..

Need To Have

  • Ripe Avocado - 1
  • Onion - 1 small, chopped
  • Tomato - 1 big, chopped
  • Garlic - 1 clove grated
  • Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon
  • Chopped Coriander Leaves - 2 tablespoons
  • Salt to taste

Method


          Slice the avocado in half, remove the seed, scoop out the flesh and keep. To this add the lemon juice and salt and mash it nicely.


          Now add the chilly powder, cumin powder, mix it, then add the chopped tomatoes, onions and grated garlic and mix it well. Finally mix in the chopped coriander and serve it with tortilla chips or as a spread on bread.


Note
When had as a spread on bread you don't get the garlic and cumin flavors that much, but when scooped onto a chip, the flavor is there.
Another variation, you can leave out both onions and garlic and add some chopped cucumber.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. This looks interesting !!!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious spread on toasted bread slices. Over here, avocados can be expensive and sometimes we don't get the nice ones too. Therefore I seldom buy it and use for my cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely delicious and healthy guacamole Hema..nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite dip ....lov it as it is versatile

    ReplyDelete
  5. very tempting and deliciously made guacamole :)

    ReplyDelete