Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Pusinikkai Kurma, Winter Melon ( White Pumpkin ) Kurma


          Whenever I buy winter melon, the first dish that I would do with it is Moru Kuzhambu ( curd based gravy ) or a kootu or raitha, and the Pusinikkai Dosa. Couple of weeks back, I had to make a side dish to go with rotis and I had to do it with Winter Melon, so then I thought I could make a kurma with it. It's an easy recipe, it  turned out good and went very well with the rotis..

Need To Have

  • Diced Pusinikkai/ Winter Melon - 3 cups
  • Onion - 2 medium, chopped
  • Tomato - 2 medium, chopped
  • Curry Leaves - 10 - 15
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Chopped Coriander - 2 tablespoons to garnish

To Grind

  • Cinnamon - 1" piece
  • Cloves - 2
  • Coriander Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Dalia/ Roasted Gram Dal/ Pottu Kadalai - 1 tablespoon
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2
  • Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
  • Garlic - 4 - 5 cloves
  • Green Chillies - 2

Recipe adapted from here

Method


          Peel, dice the pumpkin and keep. Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sputtering, add the curry leaves, followed by the onions and saute till it turns translucent. Add the pumpkin pieces and saute for 3 minutes, then add the tomato pieces and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.


          In the meantime, while you are sauteing the vegetables, grind together all the ingredients given under ' to grind ' into a fine paste and keep.


           After sauteing the tomatoes, add the ground paste, about 1 and 1/2 cup of water, salt, mix, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, till the pumpkin is cooked. Once the kurma/ curry has reached the desired thickness, add the coriander leaves and remove.


Note
If the final gravy is too thick then add some water, if it's watery, then cook it uncovered on high heat, till it becomes thick.
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Wish I could find winter melon over here..grew up eating them. My mom usually make soup or stirfry with this awesome summer melon. Yours looks really tasty with all the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy side for rice / roti comforting side dish too

    ReplyDelete
  3. never tried this...looks good..btw I stay near CV Raman Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy dish, the bowl looks super as well dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something new.it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Interesting and unique kurma recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a different & interesting recipe......must try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post dear and your dish is so delicious. I like very much thanks for sharing.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth is watering right now after seeing your recipe! Can I use red onion when preparing this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Mam,
    Thanks for sharing this Yummy! recipe with us.
    My Mom Loved this, when I made this for her.
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool, never cooked white pumpkin... thanks for the inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious and easy recipes.. Your step by step method is excellent. Thank you so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i never tried any recipe with winter melon... i am book marking this..

    ReplyDelete