Friday, July 27, 2012

Paruppu Adai (Lentil Crepes)


          I make adai at least once in two weeks, it is very nutritious, packed with protein from the lentils used in it. This is the basic adai recipe that I follow, using tuvar dal (split pigeon peas) and chana dal (split chickpeas) and rice. My daughter who is not a big fan of this adai, tasted my mom's version, a couple of weeks back, now she likes that . What's so special about that, the coconut flakes or chips that my mom adds which I used to avoid, this gives an extra crunch and munch when you bite into them, making the adai more tasty. This adai tastes good, eaten plain as such or with some tomato chutney..

Need To Have

  • Parboiled Rice - 1 cup
  • Tuvar Dal - 1/2 cup
  • Chana Dal - 1/2 cup
  • Chopped Onions - 1/2 cup
  • Fresh Coconut (sliced into small pieces) - 1/4 cup
  • Chopped Coriander Leaves - 1/4 cup
  • Curry Leaves - 15
  • Dried Red Chillies - 4
  • Fennel Seeds - 2 teaspoons



Method
         Soak the rice and the dals (lentils) separately for at least 2 hours. Grind the rice with  the red chillies, then reserving a handful of the soaked dal, grind the remaining with the fennel seeds. Mix both together with the rest of the ingredients and the reserved dal. The batter is ready, need not be fermented, it is slightly thick, when you place a laddle of batter on the skillet, it will not spread by itself. Heat a skillet, pour two laddles of batter, spread it with the back of the laddle, pour a teaspoon or two of oil around it, cook on medium heat, takes 3 or 4 minutes to turn golden brown on one side. Then flip it and cook the other side for 2 or 3 minutes till brown spots appear. Remove and serve it hot as such or with some chutney.
You might also like the Vazhaipoo (Banana Flower) Adai.
Sending it to Anu's Healthy Kitchen for the South Indian Cooking Series event and
                to Cook's Joy for Kalyani's 'Kitchen Chronicles - Only Vegan' event.

Note
You can also add a tablespoon of urad dal (black gram dal ) along with the tuvar and chana dal.
Grind the rice smoothly and the dals coarsely.
You can also serve the adais with some fresh butter and jaggery. 
Remaining batter can be refrigerated and used the next day, it tastes good then too.


Pin It

27 comments:

  1. Healthy & mouthwatering adai!! Sure to bring a smile at the breakfast table!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hema,

    Adai looks crispy and YYYummYYY !!!

    Very nice breakfast at rainy morning :)

    Keep on Dear...

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mil makes this often and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to south Indian dishes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very nice and healthy dish..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find these crepes very interesting and I like the idea of lentils. They must taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely new to me and I love the idea. Looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very healthy adai there Hema.Nice way to kick start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome....Adai my all time favorite....I do in a similar way, except I dont add fennel seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Healthy and delicious adai,filling

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious and healthy adai. I didn't add any onion to it. yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too make this in the same way. Nicely done.Love the combo of chutney

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember how my friend used to cook adai for breakfast. We were both expats working in the Middle East then. We would share recipes from our homeland. I remember it delicious and homey...I am excited to try this recipe too.
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours have caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. adai looks fantastic. I am feeling hungry now

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I must try this recipe. A good way to use my leftover lentils :)

    // Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. really tasty ...........very healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete