Monday, January 30, 2017

Instant Oats Uthappam, Savory Pancakes


          Today, I had to make lunch just for me, of course, my daughter would have some too, after she came from school. I wanted to make something that was simple and at the same time a little healthy too and after thinking about so many things, I finally made this Oats Uthappam. Though the name has only oats in it, I have added so many other ingredients to it, starting with poha/rice flakes, rice flour, carrots, paneer and other spices. I just made a batter with all of them and made the uthappam, they turned out perfect and they would taste good with any kind of chutney/thokku or gravy..

Need To Have

  • Quick Cooking Oats - 1 cup
  • Red Poha/Rice Flakes - 1/2 cup
  • Rice Flour - 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
  • Chopped Carrots - 1/2 cup, heaped
  • Grated Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese - 1/2 cup
  • Green Chilly - 1, chopped 
  • Curd - 1/4 cup
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon
  • Chopped Coriander - 2 tablespoons

Method


          To the oats, poha and rice flour, add the green chilly, paneer, carrots, cumin seeds, curd, then adding water, grind it, the batter should have the consistency like that of a dosa or pancake batter.


          Add the salt and the chopped coriander and mix it well. Heat a pan, grease it with oil, add a ladle of batter, cover and cook till the top looks cooked and set, flip and cook the other side too till you see brown spots on that side also, remove and serve.


Note
Actually I tried the uthappam without the rice flour, but it was very hard to flip it, it became messy, so I added the rice flour.
I have used about 2 cups of water to make the batter.
I didn't spread the batter, I made small uthappams, don't spread the batter too much, they should be slightly thick.
Pin It

7 comments: