Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Kothavarangai Poriyal/ Cluster Beans Curry


          Kothavarangai also known as Guar Beans and Cluster Beans is widely used in Indian cooking. In Southern India, the kothavarangai paruppu usili is a very common dish. In my house, I also make this simple poriyal/ curry with it, the chana dal and fresh coconut added to the curry gives it a nice taste and it goes well with rice and dal or sambar..

Need To Have

  • Kothavarangai - 2 cups, chopped
  • Dried Red Chilly - 1
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Chana Dal/ Bengal Gram - 21/2 tablespoons
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tablespoon
  • Curry Leaves - 5 to 10
  • Salt - to taste



Method


          Heat some oil, add the mustard seeds and chana dal, when the mustard seeds starts spluttering, add the asafoetida, dried red chilly and curry leaves. Mix once and add the chopped cluster beans, salt and about 1/4 cup water. Mix, cover and cook on reduced heat till the vegetable is done, soft to the bite. Remove the lid, mix in the grated coconut and switch off.


Note
You can do the same curry with regular french beans, but cluster beans has a unique taste.
You'll find cluster beans in Indian and some Chinese or Korean grocery stores.
If the cluster beans is really tender, then the water that I have given is enough, if you feel that the vegetable is not cooked, sprinkle some more water and cook a little longer.
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This is my favourite poriyal Hema.. Loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My appa used to love it a lot. I hated cutting it but I loved eating it. Looks delicious hema.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love this poriyal with a bowl of rice,my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this so ofetn in Bangalore but never tried at home !!!
    Will make it now for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting recipe - my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks sooo tempting n delicious....lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amma makes this poriyal in same way,loved this simple poriyal with vatha kuzhampu..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dont add coconut.. i love it since this veggie is very healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to try this one. I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the green in your beans. Back after a long time Hema, I need to go through your older posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple and yet delicious. Wonderful pics too!

    ReplyDelete