Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Red Cabbage And Banana Flower ( Vazhaipoo ) Poriyal ( Stir Fry )


          Everybody knows about the benefits of cabbage, especially the red one is even better than the white one. Whenever I bought this, I usually added it to a fried rice, but some time back, I made a poriyal with it, and I added banana flower ( vazhaipoo ), just because I had a little in the refrigerator. The combination tasted very good and now whenever I make red cabbage, I make it this way. Another big reason, my daughter who doesn't like both cabbage and banana flower separately, for some reason, likes this poriyal with both in it. I know most kids and even some adults don't like banana flower ( vazhaipoo ), next time, do try out this combo..

Need To Have

  • Shredded Cabbage - 3 cups
  • Chopped Banana Flower - 1 cup
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad Dal/Husked Black Gram Dal - 1 tablespoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Green Chillies - 2, slit
  • Grated Coconut - 4 tablespoons
  • Curry Leaves - 10
  • Salt to taste

Method


          Heat some oil, add the urad dal and mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the asafoetida, green chillies followed by the curry leaves and mix for half a minute.


          Then add the cabbage and banana flower and salt, mix, cover and cook on medium heat till done. Add the grated coconut, mix and remove.


Note
Don't overcook the cabbage.
This curry goes well with rice, sambar, or even as a dry curry with rotis.
Pin It

7 comments: