Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bharwan Bhindi, Stuffed Okra/Lady's Finger


          Okra, as I have said so many times, my family loves this vegetable, so I buy it very often. Apart from making the regular curry and sambar, I also like to try out new dishes with it. I have tasted Bharwan Bhindi, a couple of times in restaurants and this is the first time I have tried it at home, This is a simple and elegant dish, the okra/bhindi/lady's finger is stuffed with a mixture of spice powders and sauteed till crispy and golden brown. Serve it with rotis or rice along with a dal/lentils for a complete meal..

Need To Have

  • Okra/Bhindi - 30
  • Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped

Spice Powder Mixture

  • Besan Flour/Gram Flour - 2 tablespoons
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Amchur Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste

Method


          Dry roast the besan flour/gram flour till you get a nice flavor. Remove and mix it with the other powders given along with some oil ( about a tablespoon ).


          Wash and pat dry the okra and trim the ends. Then make a slit in the middle ( taking care not to cut the okra fully ) and stuff with the spice powder mixture.


          Heat some oil add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute, then add the okra pieces, leftover masala mixture and mix. Cover and cook on low heat till cooked, then open the lid and keep sauteing till it turns a little crispy and golden brown.


Note
Take care that there is no moisture on the okra.
If you like you can also add a little jaggery along with spice powders.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. looks very deliciously made,tempting n perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of adding jaggery is brilliant... I could just finish the whole plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yumm! I haven't tried stuffed ladies finger yet.. tempting me too much

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter hates bhindi however your recipe sounds very promising to make her like it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my fav too.. Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete