Friday, April 4, 2014

Eggless Dulce De Leche Cake


          Well, after making dulce de leche at home, I wanted to use it either in a cake or ice cream, and decided on the cake, as I didn't have any fresh cream in hand, the main ingredient for the ice cream. I decided to use curd/ yogurt and lemon juice in the place of eggs and used oil instead of butter, to keep down the calories. The cake came out well, it had a rich flavor, was moist but a little dense, might be, the next time I'll stick to orange juice as egg replacement instead of yogurt and milk, especially for this cake, that would make the cake much lighter I think..

Need To Have

  • All Purpose Flour/ Maida - 11/2 cups
  • Dulce De Leche - 3/4 cup
  • Oil - 1/4 cup
  • Milk - 1/4 cup
  • Yogurt/ Curd - 1/4 cup
  • Light Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
  • Warm Water - 1 cup
  • Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon
  • Baking Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon
  • Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - 1/4 teaspoon

Method


          Take the oil and dulce de leche and oil in a microwave safe bowl and warm it, so that it's easy to whisk them together. Add the milk, yogurt, salt, vanilla extract and the brown sugar, warm water and blend them well.


          Sift the all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix it little by little to the wet ingredients. Finally mix in the lemon juice.


          Pour it in a greased cake pan and bake it at 180 C for about 40 minutes. Let it cool slightly, then remove the cake and slice it after it has cooled down completely.


Note
Since I have used dulce de leche, milk and curd in the cake, I think it should be refrigerated, if you can't finish it the same day.
Depending on how thick the dulce de leche is , you might need to add more or less warm water to make the cake batter.
I have dusted the cake with some powdered sugar for the pictures, you can serve them as such or do some kind of frosting that you like.
Oven timings may vary, so keep a check on the cake after 25 minutes.
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. the cake looks rich and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious dulce leche cake, love that is egg freee. Dulce leche has caramelized taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dulce de leche a lot. The cake looks really moist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try this dulce de leche cake! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moist and soft cake....... Love the texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it today and turned out very spongy and delicious cake. Though I made some changes in ingredients as per my availability and preferences, but amazing taste... Thank u for the wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made it a week back with some changes to ingredients. It came out very moist and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh crap my creme du leche was watery I forgot to decrease my water quantity . it's now in the oven I should of read all the instructions ...

    ReplyDelete