Monday, October 27, 2014

Mampazha Rasam, Mango Rasam ( Soup )


          It's more than two weeks now, that I have cooked anything, hopefully, my kitchen will be ready by this weekend, till then I am posting dishes that I had made some time back. Today's post is going to be Mampazha Rasam/Mango Rasam, I had made this in the summer when mangoes were in season. After the Mango Moru Kuzhambu, I wanted to try something else with ripe mangoes, something that can be had with rice and then I decided to make a rasam with it. We make rasam with pineapples, so I thought that something like that with mangoes should also taste good. Just like I thought, the rasam turned out really good and went very well with rice, try this rasam if you like Pineapple Rasam, because both of them taste a little sweet because of the fruits..

Need To Have

  • Peeled And Chopped Mangoes - 1 cup
  • Tomatoes - 2, chopped
  • Grated Ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Chopped Coriander - 1 tablespoon
  • Curry Leaves - 7 to 10
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste

To Powder

  • Dried Red Chilly - 1
  • Coriander Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Black Peppercorns - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon

Method


          Powder together all the ingredients given under ' to powder '.


          Cook the mangoes and tomatoes with a little water, till they turn a little mushy. Then add the ginger, ground powder, turmeric powder and salt.


          Add about 2 cups of water and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the curry leaves and chopped coriander and switch off. Heat some oil, add the mustard and cumin seeds, when it stops spluttering, add it to the mango rasam and serve it hot with some white rice.


Note
The rasam should have a slight sweet taste from the mangoes, the mangoes that I used that day were not very sweet, so I added a teaspoon of sugar at the end.
You can make the rasam more thinner and serve it as a soup, top it up with some fresh mangoes along with a dash of pepper.
Pin It

9 comments: