Last time when I bought spring onions, it was a huge bunch and I had to find new ways to use it. I was going to do some kind of subzi with bottle gourd/ lauki/ sorakkai and instead of making the usual dal that I make with it I made a curry along with the spring onions. The curry came out very well and the spring onions gave a different flavor to the curry and it goes very well with rotis or can be also be mixed with some white rice too..
Need To Have
- Chopped Bottle Gourd/ Lauki/ Sorakkai - 2 cups
- Chopped Spring Onions - 1 cup + some ( green part only) for garnishing
- Fresh Or Frozen Green Peas - 1/2 cup
- Tomato - 1 big, chopped
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sizzling, add the chopped spring onions and asafoetida and saute for 2 minutes.
Then add the sorakkai/ bottle gourd pieces and mix. Add the turmeric, red chilly and coriander powders along with some salt, cover and cook till the bottle gourd is a little soft (3/4th cooked ).
Then add the peas, tomatoes, cover and cook once more, till the peas are cooked and the tomatoes break down. Now add the garam masala and some chopped spring onions (green part only), saute for 3 to 4 minutes, remove and serve it warm with some rotis.
You can use some cooked raw peanuts in the place of green peas for a different taste.