Monday, March 25, 2013

Coriander Chutney/ Green Chutney


          Chat Dishes are very popular in Indian Cuisine, it has it's origin in the northern states, but now popular throughout India and almost everywhere in the world. If you can find a Indian restaurant in your area, I am sure you'll find some kind of a chat in the menu. It's mostly served as a snack or an appetizer. Most often they are served with some chutneys, one of them is today's Coriander Chutney, this is also served as a side to the plain pappads. Can also use as a spread on sandwiches and keeps good for one week in the refrigerator..

Need To Have

  • Chopped Coriander - 1 cup
  • Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
  • Green Chilly - 1
  • Capsicum Pieces - 1 tab
  • Lemon Juice - 11/2 teaspoon
  • Salt - to taste

Method



          Take all the ingredients in a blender and grind it adding a little water, well that's it.


Note
The lemon juice is added not only for tartness, but also to retain the rich green color, also I read that you can add a little oil to keep the color.
My friend makes it in bulk, stores in small containers in the freezer, the right amount for a meal, this way the chutney stays green and fresh.
For the above quantity, I got 1 small ramekin of chutney, which was more than enough for three of us for a meal.
Again the capsicum pieces is added for nice color, a tip from my friend.
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. chutney is good
    my mom also used to make and keep in freezer for longer duration

    ithink in some places ppl add bit of sev while grinding so it gets bit thick chutney.. or some use bits and pieces of spinach too

    ReplyDelete
  2. adding capsicum is new, thanks for the tip..ur chutney got nice green color..so chaat recipes are coming up rt?
    btw..its not cut dear,finger bone fracture :( my fingers were taped now...that's y couldn't do blog/blog hop regularly...thanks for the concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never added capsicum. Mew to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very greenish as well as healthy chutney...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding bell pepper is new to me,u got lovely green colour hema...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tips and unique idea of adding capsicum will try next time :) thanks..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful green chutney, love the addition of green capsicum quite a new addition to chutney for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the addition of capsicum Hema! one more version for me to add to my collection

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful colors...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coriander is a beautiful aromatic herb and seeing that your chutney is making me drool. I love such little dips and its perfect for any kind of food esp for rice and thosai. Yumming while admiring your pics.

    ReplyDelete